Seven Standards to use when Choosing a Cremation Service Provider
All cremation providers are not the same. We encourage you to review the following standards and use them as a guideline for selecting a provider.
1. Up-front Pricing: Having a General Price List is a requirement to conduct business in the funeral industry. The Federal Trade Commission requires that consumers be given a General Price List as soon as there is any discussion about services. Ask for a General Price List.
2. Crematory Location: The location of the crematory should be in a facility that accepts visitors and allows for public inspection. Because of the lack of regulations and accountability in Colorado the consumer should proceed with caution.
3. Affiliations: In the funeral industry it is common for one company to own and operate several mortuary/crematory centers under different names. The reputation of each center is very important. Ask if the company is a member of the Cremation Association of North America (CANA), the Better Business Bureau, and employs members of the Colorado Funeral Service Board – all voluntary associations that show good faith and practice.
4. Policies and Procedures: Since cremation is an irreversible process, a reputable cremation service provider will have written policies and procedures to ensure that you or your loved one will be cared for properly and treated with dignity. As a consumer, you have a right to request and receive a copy of the provider’s policy and procedure manual. In addition, a family member should be offered the opportunity to make a positive identification of the deceased before the cremation process begins.
5. Inspection: You have the right to inspect everything listed in the first four items. If inspection is denied or even offered hesitantly, stay away!
6. Witnessed Cremation: Witnessing the beginning of the cremation process offers closure for some people. Any family member desiring to witness this process should feel welcome to do so at the encouragement of the cremation service provider.
7. Guarantee: Your peace of mind should be guaranteed based on the items outlined above. We offer a guarantee to every family we serve. If a cremation service provider cannot live up to these 7 Standards, avoid the potential for abuse and keep looking for a cremation service provider that can.
Call us today (303) 797-6888 to be sure you are receiving the highest level of service for you and your family.